5 things you might not know are covered by home and auto insurance.

We buy home and auto insurance to help pay for damage from accidents or in the event we’re held liable for one. Most people are aware of the typical things insurance covers. For instance, damage from a hurricane or stolen items are covered by your homeowner’s insurance. Hopefully, you also know auto insurance covers repairs to your car if you’re responsible for an accident. However, there are “other situations” that your home and auto insurance covers, which aren’t so obvious.

1.  Damage from meteors and other falling objects

How likely is it that a meteor will hit your house? Not very likely, but such things do happen. According to a 2013 Wired article, a meteor entered the Earth’s atmosphere, and the resulting sonic book blew out windows, set off car alarms, and even caved in roofs of buildings.

2.  Damage to your home from planes and cars

Again, not something that happens all the time, but planes do sometimes crash in residential areas. It’s more likely that a car could lose control and careen into your home. For example, the driver hits the gas instead of the break or if it’s raining or there’s ice on the road. All these things can happen, and if they do, your insurance will cover the damage.

3.  Damage from explosions and riots

A bomb is not very likely, but a gas line could burst, causing an explosion. As for riots, they tend to occur in fairly restricted areas, but angry or out-of-control mobs can cause a lot of damage. You’ve seen the pictures of cars set on fire or windows broken out of homes and storefronts. If this does happen, your insurance policies will cover the damage to your home or car.

4.  Damage from floods and earthquakes

This one is a bit of a trick. The typical homeowner’s policy doesn’t cover flood or earthquake damage, so you must purchase a separate policy. However, your car may be covered. “It depends on whether your policy includes comprehensive coverage… Comprehensive coverage can help, up to your policy limits, in case your car is stolen or vandalized, or if it catches fire or suffers other damage that doesn’t result from a collision (other than one with an animal). And it can help in case your car is damaged by a flood or earthquake,” according to Zillow.com.

NOTE: Comprehensive coverage is not required in some states, so check your policy to see if you have this additional protection.

5.  Your homeowner’s policy may cover dog bites

If your dog bites someone, your liability insurance may cover any legal fees or medical bills. “Homeowners and renters insurance policies typically cover dog bite liability legal expenses, up to the liability limits (typically $100,000 to $300,000),” according to the Insurance Information Institute (III).

However, if your policy does not cover dog bites, it might be a good idea to purchase additional coverage. A lawsuit can result in claims that exceed $26,000, according to the III.

Home and auto insurance is designed to protect you in a wide variety of circumstances. Take the time to read your policy to see what’s covered (and what’s not). Avante Insurance can help take care of all your personal and commercial insurance needs. Contact us today for a free quote.